Latest / Highlands Current Audio Stories
Looking Back in Beacon 150 Years Ago (July 1876) 100 Years Ago (July 1926) 50 Years Ago (July 1976) 25 Years Ago (July 2001)
Editor's note: Beacon was created in 1913 from Matteawan and Fishkill Landing. Officials planned to set off $450 [about $14,000 today] in fireworks on July 4 from three canal boats anchored in the Hudson River. Five steam tugs owned by the New York & Eastern Transportation Co. were idle at the Newburgh docks for lack of business. John Hadfield, the 7-year-old son of Levi Hadfield, drowned in a well at Walsh's brewery in Matteawan. A tailor working at Fishkill Landing was walking along the railroad when he saw the southbound train coming toward him. He stepped onto the other track and was…
The skinny
The skinny isn't ready yet — notes appear once the transcript is processed.