skinny.

Latest / Highlands Current Audio Stories

Looking Back in Beacon 150 Years Ago (May 1876) 100 Years Ago (May 1926) 50 Years Ago (May 1976) 25 Years Ago (May 2001)

Editor's note: Beacon was created in 1913 from Matteawan and Fishkill Landing. Divers hired by an insurance company searched the river just south of Newburgh for a canal boat that sank with a cargo of marble valued at $8,000 [about $250,000 today]. According to The Cold Spring Recorder, "some fiend in human shape" broke into the Newburgh Telegraph and stole several cases of type. The First National Bank of Fishkill Landing installed a chronometer [timer] lock on its safe. John Hannon, a switchman at Dutchess Junction, mangled his hand while coupling cars. The Hudson River Railroad Co. began…

The skinny

The skinny isn't ready yet — notes appear once the transcript is processed.